Monday, March 5, 2018

Week 61: Faith, all encompassing


This week has really been a trial of faith and marks the fifth time we have had someone so close to being baptized only to have something come and have them back out.  That being said, we no longer have any baptismal dates set. We started this latest transfer with five baptismal dates set and now we have zero.

I’ve been really down on myself lately, because it feels like all of that work was for nothing.  I know that the effort didn’t go to waste, but right now it didn’t really amount to anything.  I guess this is where faith comes in.  I need to have faith that someday those people will eventually get baptized.  Faith is an all-encompassing eternal principle that shapes who we are and who we become. In the end, we will be judged by who we have become through enduring trials and how we react to those trials. 

Every day has its own trials.  Before and during my mission I have lost loved ones, both family and friends. Now, as a missionary, sometimes it is hard to keep the faith when you get knocked down - when those we work with and learn to love decide to walk way.  When you get knocked down you have to get up, dust yourself off and keep moving forward, even if it means crawling.

I have adopted a new saying that goes as follows:  "There never has been a beautiful garden without a gardener.”   Now, whether you see this meaning a literal garden or look at it as your life - there’s a gardener - our Heavenly Father.  He gives us trials, because he wants us to be the best we can possible be.  He wants us to become like his son, Jesus Christ. I wish I could say it would be all sunshine and rainbows, but it is going to rain sometimes and you have to learn to dance in the rain 😊.

This week started off with a good PDay of bowling and emailing home.

Tuesday:  We had Zone Conference.  It was a neat experience, as always, to hear from the Brownings!  We also got smart phones, which is a blessing and a curse.  That being said, it was a good day, tiring but good.  Seven hours sitting on hard chairs in a gym can take its toll on a person, that's for sure.

Wednesday:  We spent all afternoon contacting potential investigators and referrals, which entailed a bunch of driving.  All of that driving combined with no luck made for a long day!

Thursday was a super duper long day.  We went out with Bro. Collingwood all day.  We contacted a bunch of less-active members until we headed off to sells for Book of Mormon class. During class we taught Z__, who was scheduled to be baptized in a little over a week.  He ultimately ended up not be able to get baptized any time soon.  It was a wonderful day until I heard this news. Let’s just day that was a long sad quiet ride home.

Friday was our planning day. We did our weekly planned and ate at the Sunny Daze café for lunch. Someone picked up our tab and thank goodness because that was an expensive peach milkshake, lol.  It or luchople frople from noon ekuse of some trialssis my new favorite dessert though!  After lunch we continued our planning.

Saturday was Elder Witzel’s birthday!  We started the day by helping someone move then we ate lunch at this awesome mom and pop Mexican shop.  I think it is safe to say me and chimichongas still don't get along, lol. Tasty, but man a couple hours later I was not a happy camper. We made some visits and then went on splits.  


Elder's Witzel, Banks and Mitchell


Sunday Elder Mitchell and I stayed in town while Elders Witzel and Banks went to Sells. We had meetings starting at 7:00 am and we got home just before 4 o’clock. We had a correlation meeting Sunday evening - with a dinner appointment thrown in there somewhere.  I had a really cool experience this Sunday.  We had a mission wide fast for various reasons and it has really helped lately. Not only that, but I got to bare my testimony for the first time in the Midvale Ward, after serving there for 7 months!

Anyways, this email was a tad different than others.  Instead of an emphasis on each day, it was a little more spiritually focused because of some trials. I’ve learned a ton this week and maybe you got something out of it too.  ¿Quien sabe?  

I hope you had a good week this week. I would love to hear from y'all.


Love,


Elder Connor William Dickinson


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...