Monday, March 19, 2018

Week 63: My Birthday is also National Pi Day :D


Well this week was truly a week to remember.  I had a birthday, we got our transfer calls and I got to say my goodbyes to all the families in Midvale.  It was just a wonderful week over all.

I usually start off with a lesson I’ve learned, but this week I can’t really think of one off the top of my head.  How about this:  Amidst all the darkness we face in the world today - be a light.  Whether sharing the gospel, serving one another, complimenting one another.... look for the good in each other.  Instead of focusing on the bad, find the good. I have found that to help me love others and treat others as I would want to be treated. After all, we are all children of our loving heavenly father. 

That’s all J

Anyways, I might as well jump into the week.

Monday:  We bowled, emailed, played volleyball and had dinner appointment with the O__ family.

Tuesday was a good day.  It was the last day before I turned 20. We worked at the foodbank, which consisted of pre-opening pallet after pallet of food.  After working at the foodbank, we went to Sunny Daze Café for lunch, where Elder Mitchell bought me a pre-birthday meal of biscuits and gravy and a peach milkshake.  After that we made some stop by visits and then had a wonderful goulash dinner with the B___ household.

Sunny Daze (They have the BEST peach shakes!!)


Wednesday was the big day, the big 2-0.  It all started off with apartment inspections.  We had two lessons scheduled, but they both got cancelled.  No matter how many lessons got canceled, my day was great because of my awesome birthday package from home. Everyone was asking where I had gotten my gift from because they want one!  (It was a leather bracelet which has a metal plate stitched onto the band.  The metal plate is embossed with the latitude and longitude of my home in Wisconsin. Also embossed on the inside of the leather band were the words “So you can always find you way home”).  Also, thank you for the healthier food.  I start my diet on Tuesday, so I really appreciate the thought of the healthier food!  My Birthday package rescued my day.  We also had our District Meeting, where some ward members brought in some pie for PI day (March 14th = 3.14 = Pi, get it?).  

Thursday was a day to remember also. We worked at the foodbank in the morning until 12:00. After eating lunch we attempted to do some stop-by visits - but nothing came of them.  We did studies until our dinner appointment with the O__ and C__ families.  They took us and the C___’s daughter out to the Texas Roadhouse to celebrate our birthdays.  We had an awesome evening of exchanging laughs and smiles.  It was so awesome. They also gave us gifts. So, weeks earlier we were looking at buying a perplexus puzzle.  You know, the clear ball puzzle. Anyways, we decided not to buy it and that is what the O__’s  got Elder Witzel and they found out my new love for Damascus steel blades and gave me a nice Damascus bladed knife! That being said, it was a wonderful night all around with my favorite families of the Midvale Ward - minus Grandpa Collingwood, of course!

Friday was planning and then more planning with a little of family history - That was our day. 

Saturday was another wonderful day.  We had planned on accompanying some new members to the temple for baptisms, but they didn’t show up.  So, Bro. O___, Elder Witzel and I took turns for a bunch of names. Brother O___ is a big guy to manhandle, but it was a blast.  Not only that, when we got to the Temple, we found out that the Temple staff had been praying for 3 people show up to be baptizers.  Before we got there, they had no one to perform baptisms that day.  Bro. O___ said it perfectly, "We were meant to be there at that time."  It was an experience and a day I will never forget - the peace and serenity from being in such a special place.  After this awesome day Elder Witzel and I ate out before transfer calls.   When we got home, we got our transfer calls. Elder Witzel is getting a new companion named Elder Wilson.  He’s pretty new.  I will be going to.....drum roll, please....the Sierra Vista 3rd Ward.  My new companion is Elder West and he is my brother in the mission (we were both trained by Elder Degrange).  He is pretty cool and I am excited.  The only problem is Sierra Vista has a CAL Ranch Store.  Keep me out of there, lol.  (Think lots of cool cowboy boots, belts, belt bucks and other cool stuff)  But yes, I am super excited.

Sunday:  After exactly 30 Sundays in this area, Sunday was my final watch over the marvelous Midvale Ward.  Church started at 1:00 because of a Stake Conference for a different stake (we share a building). We left after Sacrament Meeting so we had time to visit Sis C__ one last time.  Seeing a 91 year old woman cry because I would be transferring absolutely broke my heart.  After some consoling and a nice talk we gave her a blessing before we left. It was a beautiful goodbye.  After this, we ran home finished packing up and then went to pick up our dinner.  After picking up our dinner we went to the R___ family for the evening. I really enjoyed bonding with that Wisco family one last time. Sis R___ had a friend fly in from Gresham/Shawano area (about 40 minutes from my home in Wisconsin).  She Snapchated a picture of me to some of the young women in Shawano and they were freaking out because they knew me. The church makes this place a small world that’s for sure!  It was a wonderful night.

Saying Goodbye to the R___ Family




Tomorrow we will be going to play volleyball, say goodbye to Grampa Collingwood and go bowling again.  We will also have a dinner appointment with the O__  and C__ families again, this time at the C___s house. Those two families must like me or something, lol.

Anyways, I hope y’all had as good of a week as I did!


Love you,

Elder Connor William Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...