Monday, February 26, 2018

Week 60: Huckin' `crete & TRIP 100!!!😥


Quite the endearing term for this week - well Saturday at least.

We had a good week of visiting people and doing some service - as always. I remember someone saying something along the lines of: Each missionary has their own special way of connecting with people - or touching people’s lives.  Whether it’s teaching, blessings, being relatable or service. 

I think mine is service. I can gladly say I have now built five concrete wheelchair ramps for people’s homes in Sells, NM and Topawa, AZ. – along with numerous other projects. Whether it was helping build the P___' family’s house or the B___’s house, we each have our own way of reaching out and connecting with others. Being that I was just talking about service, I’d like to personally challenge y ‘all to serve someone this week! Big, small...a simple smile... just do it. It’ll make you happy,  I promise!.

Also, something I learned from Grandpa Collingwood is:  Our brains are stupid...literally.  The key to having a good day is:  First thing in the morning, tell yourself you are going to have a good day today and you will.  If you do the opposite, the opposite result will occur.  So, having the right attitude makes a big difference!

So, that being said let’s jump into the week:

Miraculous Monday:  We attended the timed events at Tucson rodeo. Man, it was a wonderful day!  A much needed change of pace. Sadly, I barely got to email home, but that doesn’t mean you weren’t in my thoughts.

Rodeo

Rodeo Selfie



Terrific Tuesday:  We also had a wonderful day on Tuesday.  We had an awesome shift at the foodbank.  We worked there for quite some time. After the foodbank, we went to the Sunny Daze Café for lunch.  It is a member owned café I had told you about earlier.  She sent a picture to Mom’s phone, not sure if you got it or not, so I will include it in this week’s email.  After lunch, we went out to visit some people (referrals/potentials) until it was time for dinner. We had a dinner appointment with the wonderful C___ family, again. We had pulled pork, fries, salad, broccoli and cupcakes for dessert.   It was an awesome ending to a pretty good day.  We shared stories for a long time that evening. I love the C___s so much!

Wonderful Wednesday:  We had our District meeting, which lasted for about 2 hours, but it was good.  We started learning Spanish. Thank goodness for my five years of Spanish in High School.  We are now a dual language zone. So we speak Spanish and English. Yay!   After our District Meeting, we went out with Grampa Collingwood for the remainder of the day. We then ate dinner on our own and did some extra studies.  The most productive time for missionary work in south Tucson is during the day.   After dark it is garbage, because the freaks come out and people don’t answer their doors.  If they do, they threaten you, lol. So, without a set appointment after dark…good luck!

I finally found something taller than me! :D


Tremendous Thursday started at the foodbank, where we made up like a thousand boxes of food, if not more! I have learned to love foodbank, honestly.  Sometimes it sucks because it is so repetitive and most people we work with there just bum the time away.  So, Elder Wetzel and I take it upon ourselves to work hard.  Working hard will teach you a valuable lesson, which is basically to work hard in all you do.  After the foodbank, we ate lunch. Due to Elder Wetzel not sleeping well the two nights, he took a short nap in place of his lunch.  After some quick studies we hauled out to Sells for the Book of Mormon class we teach.  Only two people showed up.  We read out of 3Nephi where Christ appears to the Americas.  Man, chapters 8-13 are amazing - as is the entire book of Mormon!  After class, we drove home and Grandpa Collingwood took us out to Taco Bell for dinner.

Fab Friday:  Friday was a wonderful day of planning.  Weekly planning is awesome because it breaks up the monotony of the other days! Later in the afternoon we had an oil change for the truck and then we did some exchanges, which lasted Friday evening until Saturday evening.  Friday was a good day.

Waffle House


Swell Saturday:  Man Saturday might have been one of the best days of my mission, so far!  I was on exchanges with Elder Mitchell.  We were talking the night before until like midnight about fishing and hunting. We decided to wake up at 5:00 and go to the Waffle House for breakfast. Man, it made me super super nostalgic.  The waking up before sunrise made me nostalgic for those early mornings before fishing.  Breakfast at the Waffle House made me really nostalgic of our wonderful family trip of 2016!  The whole thing was just full of nostalgia so it was super fun.  After breakfast, we picked up Gramps and headed off to Sells by 6:45.  We got to sells around 8:30 and commenced project ‘Huckin' Crete’  We built two wheelchair ramps out of concrete for two members’ homes in Topawa. It was a fun time, but man I was sore after throwing (Huckin') 60lb bags of concrete (crete). Not only that, I also swung a 20lb sledgehammer so many times I lost count, lol.  Man, we were sore after that, but it was worth it because service is my way of reaching out at touching the lives of others while gaining a lot of valuable experience along the way.

20 lb sledge. UGH


Bro. Collingswood is awesome! I have learned so much from him!

Yes, that is a bed...outside


Super Sunday – and a super Sunday it was!  We had splits, so Bro. Collingwood and I headed to Sells while Elder Wetzel and Bro. Carroll headed to Midvale. During the Sells Branch’s Sacrament Meeting we watched a church movie called The Testaments.  It was fairly good, as I’ve only seen it 50 times, lol. I figured out that Sunday February 25th marked my 100th tip to Sells, AZ!  Man, all the driving gets tiring out here.  Later we had Correlation Meeting and later at home we did some prep for PDay.

Our plans for PDay include:
1.     Volleyball from 9:00 until 11:00
2.     Free 9 holes of golf - all inclusive! Just Elders Mitchell, Banks and I.
3.     Emailing from the library


I hope y ‘all had as good of a week as I did.  I can’t wait to hear from you guys!


Love,

  🌵🌴 Elder Connor William Dickinson🌴🌵

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...