Monday, October 30, 2017

Week 42: The Preciousness of Life

This week has been wild - in both good ways and bad.  This week has really opened my eyes to how precious life really is.  Not only how precious it is, but how life is too short to be upset.  I’ve come to the realization of how often our prayers are answered and we never know when or how.  For example: praying for safety on a trip home - I will go into more detail about that later on in this email.

Like I said before, this week was hectic. It all started on Monday – well, technically it started after Monday, because for me, Mondays are like Christmas to a little child. I literally can’t wait to hit send on my email to hear back from all of y’all. Mondays just downright get me through the week!

Tuesday:  We meet K__ for her baptismal interview, which she passed with flying colors! After her interview, we did some stop-by visits, including Sis. C__.  She’s the best, and I love her to death.  We visited for an hour or so until we had to head off to dinner.   We ended up eating on our own because we didn’t have a dinner appointment.  I made poor man’s curry. Dad would probably be insulted, lol.  It was just chicken and potatoes over rice mixed with curry powder. But it was all we had, lol.  After dinner, we meet with K__ at a church member’s house. It was a good lesson.

Wednesday was a blast! We had our Zone Conference.  We talked about a lot of stuff, but one thing in particular stuck out to me was about making the time you have left in your mission count, rather than counting the time you have left in your mission.  After this we had dinner with the Relief Society.  They had an activity called “Truth or Treat.’  We had to go to a lesson so we could only stay for the food part - impeccable timing, right?  We then sped off to our next lesson with A__ and J__.  We were able to set a baptismal date on November 25th and a date for their wedding.  We are so excited to work with her, but it will take some work.

Thursday: We headed off to foodbank where we pre-opened stuff for 2 hours! After the food bank, we headed to Bro. Collingwood’s house and he drove us out to Three Points to visit people.  We stopped by and visited around 15 people.  I was basically Home Teaching, but we managed to generate two more teaching appointments for this week, which we hope will result in the setting of more baptismal dates!!!  It should be pretty interesting to see how it will all work out.  After this, we headed to Sells for our Book of Mormon class, which no one showed up for.  So, we visited people and invited them to come to church. It worked, because we had about 5x as many people come to church on Sunday!

Friday:  We had interviews with the Mission President and did our weekly planning. That was pretty much it for Friday. I did buy a new blanket, and I love it because the nights here are starting to get chilly.

Saturday:  I was running on no sleep (because I wasn’t used to my new blanket) we woke up at 5:00 am, picked up Bro. Collingwood and headed to Sells where we had a service project.  We poured a cement wheelchair ramp for someone. 




When it was complete it worked out well and it looked amazing!  And, I got to practice my construction skills. After this, we drove an hour and half to get to the church where it was time to FTF...fill the font, lol.  K__ was baptized on Saturday and I got the honor of preforming her baptism.  She is so happy and she said she will never forget or regret her decision. Those words were worth all of the trials an tribulation on my entire mission. After her baptism she had so many people welcoming her - she fits in so well.

Such a happy smile!


Sunday was a day to remember – for both good and bad.  We had a great Sacrament Meeting in Tucson (it was the Midvale Ward’s Conference). I fasted all day until dinner, so that turned out to be a defiantly a blessing. Bro. Collingwood drove us out to Sells, AZ and had sacrament out there, a lot of people showed up and it was a grand ole time. We were hurrying home to pick up my package from Mon and Dad from the front office of our apartment complex before it closed at 5:00.  However, we got stopped by the Border Patrol and Elder Ikimau forgot his passport. So, we were pulled over for 20 minutes while things got sorted out.  I wasn’t sure we were going to make it home by 5:00, so I suggested a different route to get home quicker (keep in mind, Bro. Collingwood was driving).  We ended up not taking the new route I suggested and at an intersection we were T-boned by a car that didn’t stop at the stop sign and turned into us. We were going about 55 mph at the time. It all happened so fast, I honestly don’t remember a lot, but thank goodness for Bro. Collingwood’s driving, because if he hadn’t done what he did, our vehicle would have defiantly rolled numerous times.  There was some damage done to Bro. Collingwood’s car that will have to be fixed and the other car was totaled.  Me being so tall and being in a small car I was in the back seat, leaning forward towards the center of the car and I hit my head on the window. To be honest, I was surprised it didn’t break. I have a nice goose egg on my head and I was slightly concussed and I wasn’t even sitting on the impact side.  It all happened so fast - everything was super confusing, but all-in-all we are all OK and resting. I do however feel like I got hit by a Mac truck. My neck down to my back is sore and of course my noggin.

Poor Bro. Collingwood! :(


So, this week I’ve learned life is precious. I’ve learned: When you pray for safe travel and you make it where you are going safely -be thankful!  I believe if I had been driving, I would not have reacted the same as Bro. Collingwood - because of his years of experience.  Or, if we would have been hit by a larger vehicle like a truck, we wouldn’t be here to tell the story. A Good Samaritan driving behind us that saw the whole thing and said it was gut-wrenching to watch, but yet we were all alright!  It was a miracle! I want to testify of divine happenings today. We had the Lord on our side, we were lucky to escape with little or no injuries. Life is too short and precious to be unhappy. So, smile and put one foot in front of the other and keep on trucking. Life can always be way worse than it seems. When it’s raining, don’t worry about getting wet, look for the rainbow and learn to dance in the rain. Life is beautiful. Enjoy what we have because evert day is a gift.

I love you guys so much!  Please email.


Love 
Elder Dickinson 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...