Monday, June 25, 2018

Week 76: A blur


This week really flew by because we were super busy meeting with people.  When we weren't meeting with people we were working on contacting potential investigators or walking around just talking to people.  All-in-all, this week we hit some pretty high numbers we are pretty proud of – so all the work and heat was worth it.  There were a couple of times we were teaching so much that we couldn't get the number of Quality Gospel Discussions (QGDs) required for the day, so we had to work harder the next day.  That was pretty much my week in a nutshell.

Monday: We got to email home and I got to play basketball for the first time in six months.   It was awesome and it was worth all the pain the next morning.  I actually dunked it once, so that was pretty awesome too.  Later that evening we had a dinner appointment with a family and by the time we were done with the dinner we headed home and called it a night.

Tuesday quite honestly, could have been the busiest day of my mission.  We had six lessons.  I don't really remember the details of all of them, but the thing that stood out to me was a lesson we had with lady named C___.  She is an interesting one, but once we realized her intentions were to follow Christ.  So, we invited here to do just that and follow Christ and be baptized.  We showed her the scripture in 2Nephi which says:

10. And He said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?

I assured her of how baptism was a commandment and I invited her to be baptized so that she can follow all of Heavenly Father's commandments and follow Jesus Christ and return back to him.  This is the lesson that most stuck out to me on Tuesday.   Being that we were so busy with lessons – we went from air conditioning to air conditioning to more air conditioning so we don't have to worry about the heat too much.

Wednesday, on the other hand, consisted of a lot of finding and talking to people.  We also had exchanges with the APs for just for an hour.  We went out and did some finding people on the streets.  What eventually turned out to be a fun time actually started off as a pretty hostile experience.  First, we were working this apartment complex and a lady stated chewing us out for what she called ‘soliciting,’ but because we are licensed ministers, we are able to do so.  After we finishing talking to her we visited a few people we know who live in that complex.  As we were getting ready to leave and start to get into the AP's van, she was waiting for us there and started claiming that we had lied and how we were trespassing and how we were just being terrible people.  She said she didn’t want to hear anything about God. So, me being me, as we were walking away I said “God bless you.”  While we found that hilarious, she got irate and threatened to call the cops and a bunch of other fun stuff.  So, we sat there talking for 10 minutes discussing the finer points of trespassing and blah, blah, blah.  We were we're defending ourselves and then all these other missionaries showed up to pick up there companions from exchanges.  That just set her off, but luckily by the time we left the cops hadn't showed up yet and the lady was still hard-hearted but it turned out to be a fun experience, lol.  I actually got the chance to show her my ministerial certificate proving that we were able to do what we were doing. So, that felt good.

Thursday:  I can't really remember what we did Thursday.  We mostly did finding and contacting people and we did teach a lesson or two.

Friday was a good day of weekly planning and Elder VanSweden got to do his ‘My Plan’ because he’s going home this coming transfer.   A couple weeks ago we received a referral for a lady named G___.  Friday night we were able to visit G___ and her fiancé V___.  They are wonderful couple in their mid-20s and he played college baseball and basketball.  He is about 6’10” and had hair as long as mine before I had to cut it for my mission.  He is a big boy.   She comes from a Catholic background and V__ grew up being LDS his entire life, but due to college sports he strayed a little bit.  They have a baby on the way but they are super excited to get married and to take the lessons so they can have a temple marriage and to raise a family in the church.  It is something that they both really want.   So hopefully we will be able to invite Grace to be baptized sometime soon and have V__ baptize her.

As for the rest of the week, not much happened. Sunday, V__ and G___ both came to Church. That was about it for these last 2 days. We were able to meet most of our goals this week and we ended up having 52 QGCs!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.  I hope you had as good of a week as I did. We stayed really busy. Too bad it's so dang hot, but anyways I can't wait to hear from you all.  I love you.

Love,

Elder Connor William

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...