Monday, November 27, 2017

Week 46: What are you thankful for?

What are you thankful for? 

Here is a short list of the things I’m thankful for:  My Parents, my late dog, my family (and family in general), learning opportunities, the Church and the Book of Mormon.

I am indeed grateful to be serving a mission also.  Why?  So far, it has been tough being away from home, family and various other activates - especially during the holidays.  I am grateful for the spiritual growth and maturing that come from serving a mission.  I must also say, while I miss all of the stuff back home, I know I am where I need to be.  In just a short couple days, I will only have a year left before I return home - in early December of next year๐Ÿ˜‰.  Oh, how time has flown by. Right?

Anyways, this week has been a good one; whether it was Thanksgiving Day spent with Bishop and his family, or being thoroughly humbled by being able to serve others this week.

That being said, here is what my week looked like:

Monday was a wonderful, even though we didn’t do much.  I got to write home!  That is and will always be the highlight of Mondays - hands down!  While we are not too sure of our plans for this Monday, I am looking forward to hearing from all of you!  If you are reading this, shoot me an email at connor.dickinson@myldsmail.net, I’d love to hear from you – yes YOU!

Tuesday was hectic!  We ended up putting together 1,200 boxes of food at the food bank, instead of our usual 530 boxes.  This being the week of Thanksgiving, it was really busy!  They were taking the boxes we put together right out of our hands as soon as we filled them up, turned around and handed them to people in need  I was blessed to be a part of the workers on that day.  It was a special opportunity.  Sadly, I got stuck on juice duty.  I had to add a 3lb bottle of juice to each box during the whole time we were at the food bank.  If you do the math, one 3lb bottle of juice per box X 1,200 boxes = 1.8 tons of juice!  After the food bank, we headed out to contact some referrals.  We’ve been busy lately and the referrals we receive have been piling up.  We had seven referrals and we visited all of them - without one bit of luck.  Oh well, time will tell if our visits will come to anything – and we can always try again later.  That night, we had dinner with the C___ family. They are a very nice, young family.  They had a super cool bathroom with a Roman walk-in shower/tub thingy.  It was a very cool idea (from a construction management point of view).  After dinner, we stopped by K___ to check in with her, but she wasn’t home.  As we were leaving, she pulled into her driveway.  She had a rough day and was just glad to have someone to talk to.  God works in mysterious ways. I was glad we were able to stop by her place and help, even if it was something simple, like listening to her.

They love their fires here in AZ!


Wednesday was a good day.  We had our District Meeting at the Los Reales Ward Building, here in Tucson.  We learned about teaching the commandments.  After the District Meeting we went out to eat at a Chinese buffet and almost ate ourselves to sleep.   After that, we did some stop-by visits with some active church members.  Later, we had dinner with the B__ family.  We had chicken, potatoes and broccoli – it was a great dinner!  After that, we had a lesson with a relatively recent convert.  We talked to her for a little bit and then that was a wrap for the day.

Turkey Day:  Gobble gobble, lol.  As far as I am concerned, Thanksgiving was an awesome day!  It started off as a normal day until linner (you know, the meal between lunch and dinner = linner).  We went over to Bishop’s house at 3:00 for linner and we ate an amazing Thanksgiving dinner.  The best part was the candied yams and green beans.  Man, I am excited to be home for Thanksgiving (2019, sigh) and eat those awesome green beans Mom makes!  After eating dinner, we played tetherball, had nerf wars and later played table tennis.  After all of this we headed home with a ton of food they boxed up for us.  We made it home and felt like we were going to die from how much we ate.  I did miss being with family, huntin’ ‘up nort’ (No, that’s not a type-o, that’s how they say it in Wisconsin. Yeah, it’s weird - if you’re not from there) – but that’s OK, because I have the rest of my life for that kind of stuff.  Man, it was the hottest Thanksgiving I have ever seen. We have been breaking all kinds of temperature records lately. This was the first time I have ever had a 94 degree Thanksgiving, lol.


SOOOOOOO FULLLLL!

Post Thanksgiving Linner Smiles

Best way to work off linner....NERF WAR!

Thats some serious competition!

Leftovers! Thank you!


Friday was an interesting day - for sure!  First, we did our weekly planning while we recovered from the day before. You would have thought we were hungover... nope just coming out of a food coma, lol.  It was rough!  After planning, Elder Ikimau and I were invited to go to a fireside in Topawa, AZ.  Part of the O'Odham (the native American tribe on the reservation we serve) culture is you can only tell stories in the winter. So now that it had been cooling down, (call it winter if you want to, but 94 degrees…not in Wisconsin, lol) after sunset, they can tell their folklore.  They shared a story about the Great Flood - it was comparable to the Noah’s Arc story.  After they shared their story, Elder Ikimau shared a story form his Niuean tribal lore.  It defiantly was special in the fact that it was like a family reunion, where nobody has ever meet before.  It was honestly one of the coolest things I’ve experienced.  After sharing his story Elder Ikimau did a 'haka,' the war dance they do before well...war.  It is a sacred dance. He is teaching me and one other elder in the district the haka, so we can send him off next month when he goes home.  I can’t wait!   It is going to be awesome.  I will have someone record it when the time comes.  That being said, he has given every one of his companions a lava-lava (look it up). Well, me being his dying (last) companion, I will be receiving the lava-lava his mother gave him, the one his mother wore to school in Fiji, the one he used his whole mission and the one he wore growing up.  I am so honored to accept it!  We have grown close over the last couple of weeks.

Saturday was a very humbling day for me.  It was a normal day until about 3 o’clock when Bro. Collingwood drove us to Sells to help a family named the D__s, on the reservation.  Sis. D__ is from a tribe in North Carolina and her mother is sick, so she is in N.C. taking care of her.  Sis. D__’s husband is 60 and has been suffering from Parkinson’s since he was 40.  It came on really fast. They were a normal family until one day they were playing volleyball and he had a stroke, which basically activated his Parkinson’s.  He has had batteries placed in his chest with a wire running to his brain, which has helped stop the shaking.  He can no longer stand, eat or get into bed alone. He can hardly talk or do anything.  It’s extremely sad. I was HONORED to be able to help watch over him for that night.  We spent the night with him since he was basically alone all day.  So, we had a tender mercy of watching football with him and talking with him for the night.  We later help put him into bed and got everything situated for him and for the person who would be there to help in the morning.  This was all super humbling for me!  It made me wonder why we complain about what we have or don’t have?  Things we have to do – No – make that things we GET to do.  Don’t take what you have or what you do for granted because it can all change in the blink of an eye! 
I know I have been guilty of this and will probably be again.  It was such a humbling experience.

Sells also has more than its fair share of crime.  There were two shootings in Sells while we were there, which resulted in one death. There was a big gang fight…with knives and guns...the Crips from L.A. are really strong and active out there right now.

This happened across the street from my apartment!


Anyways, Sunday was a long day for me. It included me doing the following:

-          Attending Ward Council Meeting (Midvale Ward)
-          Giving the Opening Prayer (Midvale Ward Sacrament Meeting)
-          Blessing the Sacrament  (Midvale Ward)
-          Driving to and from Sells, AZ. (150 miles round trip)
-          Blessing the sacrament (Sells Branch)
-          Giving a Spur of the moment Sacrament Meeting talk on charity (Sells Branch)
-          Eating only one meal all day
-          The saving of souls (aka missionary work)...Priceless

It was all worth it but I was wiped out.

I hope all of y’all’s week was as good and fruitful as mine was.

I sure do love y’all!


๐ŸŒตElder Connor William Dickinson๐ŸŒต 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...