Monday, December 4, 2017

Week47: 11 Months Today!

This week was defiantly a good week.  Teaching wise, we didn’t get a lot got done, but learning wise, it was huge!  "Seek ye first to obtain My word, then seek ye to declare My word"

This week, it was a pleasure to have a General Authority speak to the mission on Thursday! Richard J. Maynes of the 70 came to the mission.  I will highlight that later in this email.

I want to thank you guys for that awesome email you sent this week.  It filled in all the gaps of the stuff I miss most - other than snow.  I am having trouble getting into the Christmas spirit without snow.  Trust me it’s hard.

I did see a lady wearing a Packer jersey today and she filled me in on how the game went, lol.

Anyways, I might as well jump into how my week went, because I guess that’s what I’m here for, right?

Monday we played volleyball in the morning, followed by haka practice and some shopping. After shopping, we went to the library (only for the internet to email, lol) and then home for the night.  The everlasting highlight of Monday(s) is defiantly emailing home. I don’t know about you guys, but I feel like every time I write home the time in between P-Days becomes shorter and shorter – or is that’s just me.

Tuesday:  We went to the food bank and worked there for two hours. After that, we went home and made some lunch.  I wasn’t feeling all that well so I took a quick nap.  After that I felt much better.  Later, we had a dinner at Peter Piper Pizza - it’s like Chucky Cheese.  The family we went with had little kids, so the kids played while we ate.  Afterwards, Elder Ikimau lined me up (gave me a haircut).   Now, the top of my hair, which is longer, is black and my short sides are brown, lol.

Thanksgiving Package---Better late than never!



Wednesday we had a wonderful District Meeting on the Church’s Christmas initiative called “Light the World” and we were showed how to present it to members.  It was a pretty cool meeting.  Look Light the World up, it’s on lds.org.  It consists of 25 days of service. There is a short video for each day with different ideas of little acts of service.  After District Meeting we contacted some referrals, who were not home at the time.  I learned that we actually cover three different reservations:  The San Xavier, Pascua Yaqui (pronounced yockey) and the Tahono O'Odham nations.  After contacting the referrals we had dinner on our own.  After dinner we met with C__ and talked about how her job is going and stuff like that, the, we shared some scriptures with her. 

Food Truck Style

My all time FAVORITE Mexican Food... the "sonoran whataburro"
 from pershones food truck (bacron wrapped)


Thursday:  In the morning we went to....drumroll...the food bank, lol!  No, just kidding - we had a Mission Conference where Elder Richard J. Maynes of the 70 came and spoke to our half of the mission.  His wife talked about how angels bless the lives of others - and we (missionaries) are those angels.  I could not help but think of my angel... my mother - and all the lives she saves (as a trauma nurse)... just in different ways than us missionaries 😉.   Elder Maynes talked about the Book of Mormon and finding people to teach.  It was a really good training.  He helped me to be able to BETTER understand what I am reading – rather than forgetting what I’ve read 3 pages later.  Does that make sense?  Anyways after the conference, we had to get the oil changed in our truck.  It took forever, but it was fine - not a biggy.  After this we had dinner appointment with the O___s.  We had some awesome big ribeye steaks and baked potatoes with Caesar salad. All of which are my favorite! Did I mention I have quit drinking soda all together?  I have and today is the forth day so far.  I’m just trying to drop a few pounds by eating heathier. (The idea of dropping weight is going to be pretty funny after you read about the Chinese Buffet a little further down, lol)

Quitting soda, had to make the last one "top shelf"


Friday:  We drove to Sells, AZ and played sports and stuff with Z___, then we taught him another lesson.  After that we drove home. Later, we had dinner on our own before we taught a lesson to J__ L__ and A__ Q__.  She recommitted to baptism on the 16th of December. We talked about tithing and fast offerings and committed them to paying tithing.   After meeting with them, we went home, hunkered down and got some rest for the terrible day that was to follow.

Saturday was just a terrible mess – that is the best way to describe it. We picked up another set of Elders who had some service lined up for 10:30 - but the people we were supposed to help move had not given the other Elders an address to meet at.  After 11:00 they finally got a hold of people and they said we should show up at 1:30 and they would be ready for us to help. So we went to get lunch and then were ready to help at 1:30 – but guess what - still no address.  Finally, after some calling around we finally had an address and we were supposed to meet them at 2:30.  We were supposed to meet at a storage place to help these people move their stuff into an apartment.  We got there at 2:30.  The people said they were on their way - like 10 times.   The 19-year old in me said, “This is stupid, let’s just leave.”  but the missionary part of me and the other missionaries decided we would wait until they showed up. Needless to say, they finally showed 2 hours later. So, we finally got the unit open and started moving stuff out – then after seeing all of the stuff that had to be moved, they decided they needed a u-haul truck.  After an hour of us sitting on their couches and watching their stuff we had already moved out of the unit, they finally arrived with the truck.  However, the rental unit place closed at 7:00 so we had to just chuck all of their stuff in the truck in a hurry, then move it into their apartment.  Needless to say, it took forever, ugh!  It makes me so upset just thinking about it, but it did teach me that planning is essential for success. After this we had time to eat quickly after not eating all day. We chose a cheap Chinese buffet and we destroyed the place!  I ate 110 shrimp, 20 pieces of sushi and crab rangoons, and a whole plate of ice cream for desert, lol.  (What can I say, it was my only mean of the day – you got to make it count. Lol)

First Christmas away from home tree!

Ending the post with a pic of a great friend, Elder Ikimu


Sunday was a good day.  We had my first Stake Conference on my mission.  The theme of the talks was missionary work.  After Conference, we made some stop-by visits.  Later we had Ward Correlation Meeting.  And that was a wrap for the week.

I hope y’all had a wonderful week and maybe learned something from my misfortunes. If not, sorry.  Jesus loves you, so there, lol.

Any who,

Love,


       🌵🌴Elder Dickinson🌴🌵 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...