Monday, May 29, 2017

Week 21: Ask for RURAL and you will get Central Tucson

Monday, P-Day was amazing. We had a good morning in Lordsburg that included:  Cleaning, apartment inspections, washing the truck and picked up my new boots. I’m so pumped about them - I love them to death. So that’s not the only reason the morning in Lordsburg was good. Do not let me fool you πŸ˜… it wasn’t just because of the boots! I loved getting to talk to Mom and Dad, and of course My brother, Elder DeMille (he helps me through a lot)! And, I cannot forget the Lovely Sister McBride, she always finds a way to make my week! LOVE YOU ALL!


This weeks' haul of cockroaches!

:O :O :O
Tuesday: Hmm… I have mixed emotions about Tuesday. Tuesday was a pretty good day, I guess. It started out by going to food bank and getting 5 hours of work done in 2 hours. If nothing else, Lordsburg is teaching me patience, hard work, and skills l will use for my major and BYUIπŸ˜€πŸ˜‰.  After working at the food bank, we went to the V____’s. We were supposed to do service, but he had a bunch of questions. I MEAN A BUNCH - 3 hours’ worth, actually. They talked nonstop for 3 hours. It was an amazing spiritual moment. Some tears were shed, love was felt and it was awesome.  After the V___’s we went home and did studies and then had dinner with S___. Man, I’m going to miss this guy. It was awesome to be part of the effort that got him to come back to church. Now, he will also be going to the temple on Memorial Day for our Stake Temple Day! Our lesson turned into us sharing stories about our accidents. He had one in Ohio, where he fell. I followed by sharing my hunting accident and followed that up with my testimony. He started crying and I was sitting there like “What happened?” – lol. It was another spiritual moment.  After dinner, we made about 8 contact attempts, all of which fell through. But that was Tuesday!

Saying good bye to H & C

Best Ward Mission Leader (Bro H) and his son Zane
Zane has blue hair and just won state so hes wearing all of his medals! :)

Wednesday: We drove to Duncan and picked up the elders and drove to District Meeting in Clifton. We had district meeting for about an hour and a half, then went to R and R for the last time as a member of the Dirty Duncan District. We then started our way back to Lordsburg, dropped the other elders off and drove to Lordsburg. We then tried to see some people, but it really did not work out.  Either no one was home or they were busy.  About 30 minutes before dinner, we knocked this one door and a guy answered the door.  He said he was Catholic, but said he was willing to learn. Who knows what will come from that. After talking to him for 15 minutes we went out to the Bishop’s and had dinner with all the youth – all 4 of them.  After the cookout, we got invited over to a family home evening kind of deal, where some members get together and play Books and Runs. It’s fun but the old-timers always win. By the time we finished it was bed time.

Youth Highway Clean up Dead Cat :(
Thursday was a pretty good day.  We spent a half-hour cleaning up our apartment. Then we headed out. Our original appointment was not home, so I showed my companion around Lordsburg – showing him all the people we haven't seen in the last month and a half because we've only been doing what he wanted to do.  So, leaving Lordsburg (all the effort, hard missionary work and all of the literal blood, sweat and tears Elder Degrange and I have shed) in his hands is going to be an act of faith. That’s for sure!  Anyways, we then went to C___ and H___’s and had a good talk.  We talked about everything under the sun. After that, we went to see L___ S___.  I shared Mosiah 4:33 - it’s a good scripture, look it up!  After a quick visit with them we headed home and packed and then headed to Animas for dinner. We ended up seeing the K___s, they made us dinner, tacos!  And man, were they good!  After dinner, we went outside and helped work on two steers to get them ready for being shown at the fair. It was a fun time and I did it all in my shirt and tie, lol. After the K____s we went home and I cooked for Paralee and Scott Richins’ son. We ended up making crab legs, hamburgers and sloppy joes. It took a while to make it all, but it was tasty.


YUM!


Friday:  We did weekly planning and ate leftover sloppy joes for lunch.  The weekly plan says next week is going to be a super busy week.  I didn’t care because I won’t be in Lordsburg by then, lol. So, I just kind of sat there while my companion planned his week how he wanted it because if I even suggest something it doesn’t have a snowballs chance in you know where of making it into the plan.  So, I just enjoyed myself and relaxed. After a solid 4 hours of that I showed him around, to all the people we didn’t meet because we always do what he wants. So, that took an hour. After that we had dinner with the M___s, shared a quick message and gave them some last words of advice..."Jesus loves you." They laughed so hard for some reason.  After dinner, my companion had some words for me.  I just sat back and smiled it off.  There is not much you can do when you leave in 3 days. So, when we were supposed to go see the M____s (the family I've grown close to) before I transfer, instead he just sat there and told me everything I've done wrong.  I was nice enough NOT to share my two cents. Anyways, we went and did family history and went home and had a family night playing games with the Richins.

Saying goodbye to The P's & the adobe house we have helped with


Saturday:  We woke up, and went to the church to helped the Animas youth with the highway clean up. It was a fun time talking to the K___ kids and L___ E___.  We ended up cleaning 4 miles of highway. It was pretty cool, we didn’t really find anything other than a dead cat. After finally getting back, we grilled up some burgers, ate, then drove to Rodeo to help out the P___s one last time!  We actually did not do much other than move drywall, it was a good work out in 96 degree temps. After we worked, we helped them cook our dinner. They made a quick morning trip to Mexico, just to make ceviche. It had shrimp, octopus and clams in a broth of lime juice, cilantro and onion. It was super good, look it up!  I am probably murdering the explanation, lol. The acidity of the limes actually cooks the seafood. So, in a sense it’s like sushi. It was amazing. We also had it with sweet potatoes and yucca. After an amazing meal with them and their son we shared a message and talked about temples. Then we had to leave.  It was hard, only one tear shed, but I grew so close to them. They said I better come back and visit. We then drove home, and I learned how to make chili rellanos. Man, are they amazing or what?!?!  Later we got my transfer call. I am getting transferred too....wait for it....The Central Tucson Zone! Our zone just got a ton a awesome missionaries this transfer.  I can’t wait to be transferred there on Tuesday!

The steer we helped clean up for the show!


Sunday: I got to practice with the choir and I got to speak in Sacrament Meeting. I spoke about the priesthood and how it has blessed my life and how we can use it to bless the lives of others. It was very good, everybody was sad to hear I would be leaving. I have an amazing keep sake in a package I’m sending home! After church, we drove to Bro. H___’s house and had lunch with a bunch of people from the ward. It was a blast. Then went home packed, drove to animas and had dinner with Mel and Pam Richens, very good people. Then we came home and I’ve been doing laundry for 4 hours in preparation for transfers.

Southwestern USA words to live by! :)


Our plan for tomorrow is to go to the temple with the Richins, leaving at 7:45. We will be going to a picnic afterwards so we will be home around 4:00 and then volleyball at 6:00. So, I’ll be able to email from 5 to 7 your guys time, and a little after volleyball.

Until next time – from Tucson!

Love,


Elder Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...