Monday, May 15, 2017

Week 19: My first baptism was a double!

Dear Family...Elders...Sisters,

Hope you all enjoyed Mother’s day, because I know I did!  It was amazing getting to skype home and talk to my family. I hope you all got the opportunity to do so. It was what I needed in this time, (for a lack of better term) a time of anguish. But with the knowledge of the truthfulness of the gospel and of course the great counsel I got from talking with family, I was then able to calm the raging seas - for now, at least. But that’s improvement, and as my Dad always told me; incremental improvement is better than none at all. So thumbs up to Mother’s Day – and now I can’t wait for Christmas, lol!!

So, last Monday was quite an adventure. Sunday night, we drove up to Silver City, NM and enjoyed the P-Day there. We played basketball, went to the library, ate food, emailed - typical P-Day stuff. However, Monday morning Elder Pinson got sick with some sort of stomach bug.  He didn’t want to move at all, so he laid on a mattress at the church and slept and threw up all day. We had ridden up to Silver City with them, so we had to stay Monday night in Silver City waiting for Elder Pinson to recover. The hour car ride back home would have probably killed him.

This is a picture one of our district elders drew from the MTC. It all has something in it about us. Or something we did... Apparently I was the big tough guy! LOL Can you pick me out?


Tuesday: We woke up in Silver City to find Elder Pinson’s companion was sick as well. “Joy!  Who going to be next?” was the only thing running through my mind.  We had to get back to Lordsburg, so we made them tough it out and I drove the four of us home. After lunch in Lordsburg, we walked the mile to our appointment with H___ and C___. We had a great talk with them.  After that, we were walking home to do our personal study, when we realized we had to get to the church for the M___ boys’ interview. So, we got to the church right on time, but we ended up having to wait for the district leader to show up and conduct the interviews.  The M___ boys both passed!  After the interviews, our day went downhill. All of our appointments fell through, which is just part of missionary work.

Wednesday:  We got ready for district meeting and headed north to pick up the Duncan Elders on the way to Clifton AZ. After a rowdy district meeting in Clifton, we had a great authentic Mexican feast at a cash-only joint. It was super good!  Then, we headed south for an hour to Lordsburg and dropped off the Duncan Elders on the way. We got back to Lordsburg to do some service for L___ M___. It was a fun time doing service.  We cut branches, raked up pine needles and I got to clean out her gutters. It was fun. She was so happy, she offered to give me an old car.  She said I could pick it up after my mission over, lol. She also fed us flautas - something like rolled tacos. In the middle of dinner we got a call which told us we had a Stake Missionary Correlation Meeting in Duncan in an hour. We hurrily drove the 45 miles to get there, and ended up having a good, but long meeting. We then had to drive home and didn’t get back until 10:45. I was upset and tired; we ended up driving 235 miles that day.
 
Getting ready to paint 
Thursday:  We visited H___ and C___, where I was gifted with another old car. I later realized I had no way to get them to Wisconsin and had no place to put them if I did, so I had to graciously decline both offers. Later, after a decent meeting with H___ and C___ we headed home and got packed for the weekend and drove to Cotton City, NM for dinner with the H___s , they are great people. They are super nice and man do they have some hot green chilies. After dinner we hustled over to the H___’s (a different H___ family from the one in Lordsburg that you’ve read about before) house for service. After learning their story, I want to see how big of a difference I could make helping out at their house. Thursday night we picked up twigs and limbs and put them in a big dump trailer. Then we visited with them. She started crying and said they were waiting for someone to just come talk. They have lost several children to car accidents and the husband had gotten sick. So, she really just enjoyed our company.

How you have to paint when its 95 degrees out and 100% UV
The UV here is NO JOKE!


Friday: Oh typical Friday, you rejoice for them, but now, I rejoice for Mondays. We had weekly planning today and after lunch we did some family history, which was followed by a dinner appointment with Sis. F___. It was an awesome time; we ate an amazing southern feast of barbeque chicken, catfish, rolls and green beans. It was awesome. Then we played games with their family.

Saturday was an awesome day. We woke up and got ready for service at the H___’s (the Cotton City H___s) again. We went over with a church member and I was assigned to paint their elevated porch. Being made of rusted metal, I had to paint it twice. The first time I used jasco, a rust blocking primer you paint over rusty metal so the second coat of paint sticks to the metal better.  So, after going over the whole thing with jasko, I commenced the painting process. I didn’t have time to finish, but I will this Thursday.

Anyways, quick funny story, I had spilled some paint on my fingertips. I forgot it was an oil based paint, so I went over to the hose to wash it off, right? Well, brothers and sisters, oil doesn’t mix with water. So in about 7 seconds my hands were completely white and I had 2 baptisms to preform that night. I was worried it wouldn’t come off, but after half a bottle of WD40 and a half hour of scrubbing it finally came off.

We drove home, to Lordsburg and showered off an afternoon of working in the 95-degree heat. We then had to go start filling the font. Before filling it, we had to clean it because it had only been used once in the last 4 years.  We had to work really hard to get it cleaned out.  Finally, after it was clean, we starting filling it, but the pipes we full of rust, so we had to drain out the rusty water and fill it again. The water was still dirty and rusty - The third attempt was still gross. So, by the time we finally got clean water flowing and we had the font half full, we noticed the hot water had been used up and the clean water was ice cold.  We slowed the flow and began boiling water in the kitchen and added it to the ice-cold water. We did this for about an hour. Then the M___ brothers showed up.  We got them ready, took pictures and then I got to perform their baptisms. Wow, the spirit was really in the room; we had invited 20 people and 50 some showed up. Having the privilege to teach these boys from start to finish and then being able to baptize them was an experience that I will never forget. It’s amazing how through a ordinances like this, we were able to become family - in a sense. It feels amazing. I have no words to describe how I felt. We then had amazing refreshments and then we ate dinner at Bro. H___’s (Lordsburg’s mission leader) house. (I have great pictures from this day but the boys are ages 11 and 14 years old and minors - so I didnt post their pictures. If you would like to see a picture of us all please ask my parents - they would love to show you. LOL)

Font cleaning duty in Lordsburg, NM

What you have to do when the hot water tap doesnt work on the font

CAKE! 


Sunday:  Mother’s Day, as I explained earlier, was amazing! We went to church in Lordsburg and I got to stand in for the confirmation of the M___ boys. Start to finish, being able to watch them grow in the gospel is amazing. I then got a big hug from their dad who is a member, that hasn’t been to church in 5 years – due to work. Hopefully he will be able to give his oldest son the Priesthood next week. I’m so excited.  The dad said he will now make time to come to church, it’s amazing. The spirit is real, my friends. After church, we got to eat some delicious steaks at the Bishop’s house, then we got to call home to Mom and Dad.   I love, love, loved it!!! We then had dinner with Bro. H___, (spam and pineapple on rice) and then tried to visit some people but no one answered so we went home.

That was my week; I hope all of yours was good as well.


Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Love,


Elder Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...