Monday, May 22, 2017

Week 20: A Brutal Week in the Books (Boots) with a Long One to Come!

This will probably be my last week in Lordsburg! I have mixed emotions about it, actually. This place has been my home since January. It is funny how time flies when you are constantly doing service work.

This week is going to be a short email. Why? Because I was sick for half of it, so I did nothing but sleep. 

Monday was awesome - getting to talk to you guys! I know I always say that, but it’s usually the highlight of my week - especially now, that I coming to realize the importance of the family unit. It really makes me want rewind the last 18 years and instead of going out on Saturday nights, running the town, I would rather have spent the time with you guys (Mom and Dad). I just want you to know how much you mean to me. If I could express my love as number...there wouldn’t be one big enough.  No measuring tool could be long enough...get the hint... I love you guys so much...and that goes for all my family.

Tuesday:  We had to leave pretty early to drive to Zone Conference. On our way, I got an idea to pick up some Safford elders so they didn’t have to bike to ZC. Any guess who? Elder Degrange and his companion. It was awesome getting to see my mission Dad (trainer) again. After zone conference Elder Rodriguez had an appointment, so Elder Degrange and I went to get the truck fixed. While doing that we stopped and got Dairy Queen and talked about life, my transfer struggles and everything. It was what I needed to get through this week. At zone conference Sis Passey (the mission president’s wife) talked about staying heathy. At the time, the mission had 30 missionaries with the stomach flu. Afterwards, we drove the hour and a half to Lordsburg with no music - just silence. I didn’t feel well…stay tuned for Wednesday through Friday.

"Dad" (Elder Degrange) and I getting the truck fixed


Wednesday through Friday:

I got the stomach flu which means I did the following: 
1.      Slept constantly - day and night.
2.      Didn’t eat until Friday morning. 
3.      Extremities tingled from low blood sugar
4.      Threw up any medicine I took
5.      Died

During those 72 hours, I was only was awake for 3 of them.  I finally was able to eat Friday afternoon.  If that doesn’t convey how I felt Wednesday through Friday, I don’t know what does.

Saturday:   I woke up still slightly ill still, but put on my big boy pants and went to work.
We were blessed with the opportunity to serve at the H___’s house. Bro. Hansen and I hung dry wall in the morning and after lunch I got to finish painting the massive balcony I worked on last week.  We finished by 4:00 and I was covered in oil based paint and we then had a dinner appointment in Rodeo with the younger K___ family. It was good, curry with goat meat again. I’d say goat tastes like chicken...but that would be a lie, because it tastes like goat, lol. We then drove an hour home to Lordsburg.

I am pretty pumped about adding these beauties to my boot collection! (thumbs up)
My Mission Boots :)


Sunday was a pretty good day - until 3 at least. We attended church in Lordsburg and got to stand in on D___ M___’s priesthood ordination. I’d have to say it was almost as powerful as being able to baptize him. He is a great kid – he and his brother, both. After church, we had Ward Council followed by lunch with Bro H___. Then, we went home and did studies which were good. Then we went to see people. We had planned on visiting three people then coming home to clean for inspections. Well we got caught in one lesson for so long we didn’t get home until 9:30 and didn’t do anything else we had planned.

Sorry for a shorter email this week, but that was my week

I would love to hear from you all.


Much love from the ATM (Arizona Tucson Mission),


Elder Dickinson 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...