Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Week 4: Intro to "New Mexican" Food

Well, week one in my first area is in the books. It's been a blast! So far, we have only taught 2 lessons but only because our area is 99% reactivation, which I'm fine with, but it's hard because our area is so spread out.  In the last five days, we have driven 500 miles.

This week has been a lot to take in. Busy busy busy, that's for sure. We have one family that lives in Hachita, NM, which is waaaayyyy out of the way, but they are on vacation now.  They own a massive ranch in the middle of nowhere. It is a 200 mile round trip.  It's tough getting out there.


Elder Degrange & I
Who is the tallest??? 

It’s a family of five that wants to get baptized. So, now we wait for them to get back so we can continue to teach them. Other than that, there is honestly not much to report on.

On Friday night, we had dinner with the M______s, they are honestly the nicest people I know. They have so little but yet they give so much. I already love them.  They are amazing people. After dinner, I felt the need to share a scripture with them instead of a giving a lesson. The scripture I chose to share was D&C 121:7-8...

7.  My son, peace be unto they soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

8.  And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

Little did we know Sister M_____ had just beat cancer she had been battling for 2 years. Brother M_____ broke down and told us how awesome it was that we were fellowshipping them and shown them love. He said he could feel the love just by us being there and talking to them. It was an amazing.

Saturday, we did service for the P_____s. They live in a trailer right now, but we are helping to build their adobe house. Everyone here is so nice and hospitable. Before my mission, I told myself that I would eat anything that was put in front of me. Well, I actually love peppers onions now! I'll even eat broccoli and whatever kind of fruit you put in front of me.  I don't know what happened, but I'll legitimately eat anything, lol. Did you know that spam is an amazing thing, lol. Oh, the missionary life :).


Building an adobe house


Last night we drove to Safford, AZ, in the Gila Valley, about 150 miles from Lordsburg.  We stayed in the local missionary's apartment.  Today, for P-Day, we will be doing our shopping and laundry in Safford, then playing basketball with about 30 to 40 elders and sisters at the stake center.  It should be a blast.

No need to worry about us, we get fed at least twice a day - sometimes 3 or 4 times. We are well taken care off.
 
On Saturday, for breakfast we had drowned eggs...look it up, they are good J.  For lunch, we had Peruvian spaghetti, the sauce is actually made from carrots and it was amazing. For dessert, we had lechma fruit with cinnamon and condensed milk, which was also awesome. After that we had linner (between lunch and dinner) and ate at a member owed café.  I had a green chili burger that was exceptional. Apparently green chilies are a big thing here they eat them on almost everything.

For some reason, it is hard to email pictures, so I will have to email them separately. I will send pictures in the next email. I hope all is going good at home. I hope work is going well.  Hey Dad, do you know an Elder Bart Merrell? He served in Japan, Sapporo Mission about the same time you did.

I want to challenge you guys to start reading the book of Mormon. I have seen the blessing that it brings to people’s lives and their families. I love you guys so much.

A couple members of the ward work for the border patrol.  They always wave to us when we are driving. Everyone knows the missionaries, lol.

Our district meetings are once a month in Duncan, AZ, about 45 miles from Lordsburg. The meetings are once a month, usually on Wednesdays, so on P-Days we do exchanges and reunite on Wednesday, so tonight I am headed up to Cliffton.

I love it out here in the boonies, there is literally no one out here. Someday, when I get enough money, me and Pops need to own a ranch down here. It’s so beautiful. We’ll hire a ranch manager so we don't have to do anything. That would be the life.


Sunset over the mountains
Love you all! 

Elder Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...