Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Week 3: Hello! From....New Mexico?


Well, hello!  I can only email you guys once today, but I just want to let you know that I am got to my new apartment and am safe!

We flew into Tucson on Monday and I spent a few days at the Tucson Mission Home.  I love Tucson, the mission home was nice. 

My first area is none other than Lordsburg, New Mexico, 175 miles west of Tucson.  My area actually covers three towns: Lordsburg, Animus and Rodeo. Lordsburg is the biggest of the three with about 2,700 people, just over the New Mexico border, in the middle of nowhere! It used to be a thriving metropolis, but now every fifth home is abandoned or has been torn down. There is decent sized meth epidemic here, but other than that the people here are super nice and charitable. The Lordsburg ward size of about 50 max. I would guess about 90% of the members are elderly couples.

Both Animas and Rodeo are super small towns about 30 minutes to an hour away. The people that live here tend to be poor, but they give the most, which I find truly amazing.
The Animas Ward has about 30 people in it and they meet in Cotton City. The people there are awesome. 

We are staying in Rodeo next Sunday their ward meets in a convention hall with a branch of about 30 as well.

All three towns are in the middle of nowhere, which means there is no place to shop, no dry cleaning, or places to eat. So, it's hard, but it's amazing at the same time. And it’s all ways its always super windy here.

Where I am currently serving, we will be doing a lot of service, like putting up fences, digging trenches, and believe it or not, castrating and branding cows come spring time. So, needless to say I'm going to need my boots.  We also work on doing a lot of reactivation. We have only taught one lesson, which went good, but our investigator seemed confused, lol.

My area has a truck, a 2016 Toyota Tacoma. Because our area is so spread out, we drive like 750 miles every 5 days.  I’ll be doing all of the driving for my first couple transfers, only because my companion can't drive because of speeding, lol.
 
My companion’s name is Elder Degrange. He's super nice and is the same height as me.  He is awesome, and is from Utah. Shocker, huh?  He looks like Dad when Dad was in high school, lol.
Mission Truck & Chapel

Nothing changed this week other than we have exchanges for the first part of this week. I am able to go north to Clifton to do service work so that should be exciting.

I love you guys so, so, so, so, so, much. I have kind of started to miss you guys but I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing. So, it makes it a little easier. Gordon B. Hinckley once said "forget yourself and get to work.

Love Elder Dickinson 

P.S. These pictures were taken overlooking the Tucson sunset.  I'll email more in-depth on P-Day love you guys


Tucson at Sunset

Its beautiful here...



My current address is (If you send me anything I would suggest requesting a signature on receipt so they hold any packages at the post office for me, we do not stay at our apartment that often):

Elder Connor Dickinson
501 De Moss street apt 8
Lordsburg NM 88045

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...