Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 16: Change. For the worse or better...quien sabe?

This week was…meh.

I was delighted to hear about my little pup being a little better.  Keep praying that everything will work out.

I'm going to warn you right now, this was not a good week for pictures. Sorry in advance.

Monday: P-Day is always awesome hearing from my beloved family and Sis. McBride!  It is always awesome getting to talk to you guys on Mondays.  It makes Monday so much better than before my mission.

Tuesday was my first transfer day that affected me directly.  It started out good. I met my new companion, Elder Rodriguez, who transferred in from Douglas AZ.  We picked him up in the Gila Valley We talked while he loaded his stuff into the car, then we picked up the other transferring Elders and started our hour and a half trip back to Lordsburg. At Lordsburg, we had time to get Elder Rodriguez unpacked before we went to dinner at B___ S___’s house.  We had pork roast, potatoes and corn. After diner, we walked around town street contacting. We found two people out of about 50 who would speak to us.  So it wasn't very successful, because nothing came out of it, but it's whatever. It’s part of the work.

A brown recluse spider we found in our apartment! :O

Wednesday: We had district meeting in Duncan, AZ, ate lunch and came right back to Lordsburg.  We did some service for M___.  We’ve worked with her before at the food bank, but today we helped her get her yard in shape. So, now it looks nice. By the time we were done with service, it was time to head down to Animas NM for dinner with the H____’s. C___ is one of P___ R___’s daughters. It was super cool, I talked with Z___ about construction management, general contacting, and civil engineering. It was a fun time.  After this we drove back to Lordsburg because we missed playing basketball. Elder Rodriguez is a super nice guy.

Thursday was a long day.  We ended up walking just under 7 miles, it was brutal.  We went street contacting/knocking doors and talked to 3 people for a while. Then we walked a mile to H___& C___’s only to find out they were out on a town.  That meant we had an hour to fill, so we did some more finding. After that, we went to the S___’s house. The story behind L__ S_  is he is a 87-year old non-member who has paid tithing and come to church for the last 76 years of his life.  Over the years, he had all these reasons of why he didn’t join the church. Now, he is 87 and his only excuse is "Well I don't want another job (calling), I've worked for 60 years." Mind you, he is now 87. So, I felt inspired to talk to the Bishop.  The Bishop said this has been his excuse for 10 years and no one bothered to ask Bishop about it. I felt prompted to ask bishop if he would give L___ a calling. Bishop said of course not, L___ can barely see, hear or walk.  He said this in a joking and loving manner.  He also told me to tell L___. So we shared a scripture with L___ and invited him to be baptized for what L___ said was the 27th time.  I told him what the bishop had said.  L___ then said, “Well I guess I will be baptized.  I just want to wait for my son to get back in the fall.”  I know I won't be here, but maybe I'll get to come back and see him get baptized - after 76 years of investigating the Church. We then had dinner with the B___s and we talked about his border patrol job. I love hearing his stories.

Baby birds just chillin'

 
Friday, we did service for P___ H___. We finished with that about 1:00, and then went home, ate lunch and did companion study and weekly planning until the Ward party.  We had to set up for the part by 5:00.  We were only expecting 30 or so people.  It was a bring your friend type of deal, so we could be introduced to some non-members. There ended up being 60 people who showed up. It was amazing! We had brisket made by Bishop and the rest was pot luck. After the party, we had to take down everything, then we had to drive to Animas. 

Saturday was interesting.  We had a plan to visit a lot of people, but not of them one of them answered their door.   We drove to Rodeo from Animas. In Rodeo, we tried to see some people and no one there answered their doors either. So, we then we went to Sister B___’s.  For reasons I won’t share here, the lesson didn’t go as planned and she did not receive it well at all.  Because the lesson ended early, we had a bunch of free time we didn’t plan on.  It wasn’t a good situation. Later we had a dinner appointment with the M___’s which was awesome. We got to talk for a while and I was surprised we were able to do that because of what happened with Sis. B___’s erlier in the day.  Then we spent the night in the ‘Man Cave.’

Elder Degrange saying goodbye to Sister R


Sunday:  I hate the time change at Arizona border!  Somehow, we ended up waking up at 5:00, which made us an hour and a half early for Church, it was a mess. We used the time for planning. We had talked about how things have been done in Lordsburg. We went to Church in Rodeo, then high-tailed it up to Lordsburg to teach the M___ brothers.  It went very well.  We are shooting for baptisms on May 6th, and if that doesn’t work then May 13th. After that we talked to Bro. H__’s and ate dinner there, then we did more street contacting with Bro H___, it was pretty fun.

Elder Degrange and I after our "tie swap" tradition
(saying goodbye on transfer day)

I hope you had a better week than I did.

Love you lots

Elder Dickinson


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...