Monday, March 27, 2017

Week 12: My first "Lingerlonger" and my second dust storm!!!

When you think of Wausau, WI, you don't think violence. It's sad to see that one of our Wausau police officers and 3 others were shot and killed last week over a divorce. I never thought I would hear Wausau making any headlines here in Lordsburg, NM. After the shootings in Wausau made the national news, one of the members here remembered where I was from and informed me of what had happened. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that something like this happened so close to home – literally, just a few blocks from my house. I feel so bad for the community. People won't feel safe there for a while and that’s sad too. I just flat out can't believe it. It's crazy. I knew that police officer personally. He would come work at my school once in a while. He would talk to me and my friends when we were just chillin’ at the high school. He was a very nice guy, can't believe it. It is so sad!

Anyways, this week in New Mexico has been alright.

Mondays are the best, because I get to talk to you guys.

Tuesday we worked at the food bank for a couple hours. They gave us a box of basic staples, things like beans and rice. It's nice to not having to buy those basic commodities. After the food bank, we made some weird but amazing chicken for lunch.  We mixed buffalo chicken seasoning with Italian dressing and marinated the chicken in it. It was amazing. After lunch, we headed over to H____ and C____’s and had a good Book of Mormon study session. H____ is fun guy, we love him to death.  Later we found out our diner appointment forgot about feeding us, so they just gave us money. So, we bought what we needed to make buffalo/Italian chicken, jalapeño potatoes corn bread and green chili chip dip with homemade chips. After cooking and eating dinner, we dropped in and visited a few people.  Then, just like that, the day was over. The APs slept over at our apartment.


Missionary Dinner


Wednesday, the APs checked our companion study, which went well. Then we drove to Clifton, AZ for our district meeting.  After the meeting, we all ate R & R pizza and wings, again. After lunch, we drove home to Lordsburg and tried visiting some people before our dinner appointment.  We ate dinner at a recent convert’s house and after that, we went over to Bishop’s house and reviewed the ward directory and talked about all the less-actives live. Now, we have a plan to set aside an entire day to visit like 50 people.

Thursday was a rough day.  We walked like 8 miles.  To start the day walked about a mile to the church for interviews with the Mission President. It’s always a good experience and fun
time seeing the Mission President.  After interviews we walked home for lunch. It was pouring rain, so we got soaked.  We were offered two rides within 200 feet of our apartment, at least people tried to be nice, lol. We had buffalo/Italian chicken again. It was amazing, again!!! We then walked to C___s house and helped him fix his flat bike tires that had been popped by all of the goat head thorns that literally grow everywhere. It was 3 miles there and 3 miles back.  That was a long walk. Later, we drove to Animas. On the way, a dust storm blew in we almost died.  We couldn't even see out of the truck, so we had to pull off of the road and shut off our lights so nobody would follow our tail lights and plow into us.  It was probably one of the scariest things I've done.  When we finally got to Animas, we had dinner with S____ and S_____. They were getting married at 5 o’clock so we had a wedding full of missionary opportunities. It was also her birthday.  She turned 77.  When the day was over, we slept in the trailer at the R____’s house they used when their daughter is home. So I got to sleep in a trailer with 2 queen sized beds with memory foam.  It was amazing. 


Watching the dust storm approach! :O B



Zero Visibility

The rainbow aftermath. Whew! What a scary experience!



Friday was fun and interesting at the same time.  We ate lunch and went to the church for our weekly planning. We planned for 2 hours and then played hide & seek. I won!  I hid in a boiler room that had to be 100 degrees. I had to give up, otherwise I would have passed out and died and Elder Degrange would have never found me, lol. After planning a little more and then went back to the R_____s for my belated birthday dinner and family game night. After that we had family prayer with them. They said we are their family. We love them and they love us. It turns out I'm like 7th cousins with P____ R___.

Saturday was a good day.  One of our appointments fell through, so we did some service for the P____s. We worked for 6 hours.  I rototilled for all 6 hours and.my arms are still like Jell-O. We had dinner with the M_____s. 


We dont have a church gym...we have a pavillion!

Sunday was cool, We went to church in Cotton City, NM for the missionary home coming of J__ K____. He's a cool guy. He spoke for 30 minutes without notes. There were about 150 people there to hear him speak. The normal Cotton City sacrament attendance is about 40 people, lol. After seeing that, I want all my family from all over the country to come to Wausau when I come home off of my mission. That would be awesome! Anyways, after church the two young brothers we have baptismal dates with were out of town so we stayed in Cotton City. After church, the ward had what the call a ‘linger longer’, or potluck as we a call them in Wisconsin. We ate lunch at the linger longer, then the K____’s invited us over after for fun and games.  We played cornhole and talked with their massive family. It was a blast!  They consider us family too, lol. We then drove home, ate dinner, did our studies then drove to Duncan, AZ for P-Day.


I taught our ward mission leader how to make pickled eggs Wisconsin-style! Haha!

Today for P-Day, we are going to go see some native American rock paintings. So I'll email you guys as much as possible

I love you guys!

Love,


Elder Dickinson


P.S. I need the chocolate roll recipe to share with the R_____s for my birthday cake since we had their favorite cake on my birthday lol. They are family, so no worries.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...