Monday, February 27, 2017

Week 8 They have dust storms here!!!

I hope everybody had a fantastic week. I know I did.

Last week’s P-Day was pretty great!  It was fun to go bowling and make wooden pens - which I hope made it home okay. When I mailed it home, I didn't have bubble wrap so I packed it plastic shopping bags. Anyways, after we did all of that, we drove home and did personal study and since we didn't have a meal, we ate at home and then went to bed.

The DDD making wooden pens on P-day!

My second attempt. The first pen made of honey mesquite broke!

The masterpeice: made from China Berry Mahogany



Tuesday was a good day, but a busy one at that. We worked at the food bank from 9:00 until noon, handing out food items and filling carts. This is always a humbling experience. I try to make it as fun as possible to put a smile on people's faces, but it's hard seeing people struggle to provide for their families. After the food bank we hustled across the street to our apartment, changed and ate lunch. After lunch, we visited H____ and C____ to read the Book of Mormon with them. They didn't come to church this week but hopefully they will this next week. H____ went off on a story telling binge. We got there at 1:00 and left at 4:00. He tells good stories, but holy cow. Anyways you’ve gotta love H____ and C_____ they are so kind. After that we went to see another investigator but he wasn't home, so we at dinner and then went to Bro. H____’s house. He is our ward mission leader. He says we are like his sons, and love him to bits.
After this, we went home and meet the Zone Leaders who slept over in order to go on splits with us.

Wednesday was good.  Once we were ready for the day and completed our personal study, we drove to Duncan, AZ for our District Meeting. District Meeting was good, we talked about none other than the wonderful Book of Mormon and practiced on how to teach better.  I learn a lot from role playing. After District Meeting we went to Hilda’s Market and Restaurant and ate $1 tacos. I ate eight of them – whoops, lol. They are soooo good. After lunch we did exchanges and some family history. We then drove back to Lordsburg and visited with B____. I shared what would help with his problems he was facing and we extended an invitation to have him reread the Book of Mormon - with humility in mind. If you search and read the Book of Mormon with a question in mind, I guarantee you will find an answer to your questions.  After that, we visited T____ F_____ and read with him.  Our dinner appointment had sick kids, so they dropped dinner off at our apartment.  I think I have eaten more spaghetti and lasagna in the last two months than I have in my entire life before my mission - seriously. After dinner Elder Degrange, Elder Day, and I went with Bro. H_____ to see Hermana C_____. He didn't tell us until we got to the door that she only speaks Spanish. I was ecstatic! Bro. H_____ speaks fluent Spanish and I spoke quite a bit, but was rusty. Elder Degrange doesn’t speak Spanish at all, so I translated for him.
It was a sweet experience. Next time, I am assigned to pray in Spanish so that shall be quite interesting. It was so fun. After that we drove to Duncan, AZ and picked up the other Zone Leader and drove back to Lordsburg and went to bed.

Thursday was a long day.  We woke up and got ready super-fast and then drove 40 miles to Bro M____'s ranch to help with service. We helped mix and pour concrete around big truck tires to make a watering trough for their cattle. That was fun but a lot of work. We worked from 7:30 to 3:00. During that time, I guess the windy season decided to begin. It was blowing a constant 30 MPH with gusts up to 60 MPH and caused five traffic accidents. One accident not wind related, but shut down I-10 for 5 hours between Lordsburg and Deming, NM. I-10 connects Florida to California and has a ton of semi-truck traffic.  So needless to say, when a car full of illegals chased by border patrol flips and three are ejected from the car and die – I-10 gets shut down for 5 hours. A second accident was a 7 car pile with 3 more fatalities, which closed a different segment of I-10 down for 3 hours.

The beginning of the water trough

Somehere in the middle of the water trough...LOL

The FINISHED water trough...whew!

I also saw my first couple dust storms, which were pretty cool, I must say.

Small dust storm in the distance



We had dinner at the ____’s. We ate pizza and talked about trucks for a while. It was fun. After that we went home and did studies and went to bed.

Friday was an interesting day.   First, we helped pack Bro G____’s stuff so he was ready to move on Saturday morning. After that we decided to do our weekly planning while we were driving to the M____’s for dinner. Man, do I love the M___s! They love having us and they feed us well. For Valentine's Day they gave us 2 boxes of Girl Scout cookies as a surprise. They are amazing people.  Afterwards, we visited with the W_____s and he shared more stories and made me laugh so hard. Bro. W______ is hilarious. After that, we went to bed.  If you can't tell I love saying “go to bed” because after a long day it's much needed.  However, I do find myself sneaking in a nap whenever I can. As a missionary, you find that if you eat lunch super-fast you can take about a 30 minutes nap which helps you get through your day.


Saturday, we were supposed to go cut wood in the Whitetail Valley with some investigators but he got called into work so we finished helping Bro. G_____ move.

Funny story: The movers show up with the moving truck today and we were ready to load and be done in an hour or so.  There was plenty of room for everything in the truck, but the movers insist on making the whole thing a puzzle and did all of the moving themselves.  The movers yelled at us for not helping.  The Bishop said, “Well they’re obviously not in the Elders Quorum.”  They were non-members lol.  It took them five hours to do what we could have done in less than three.

‘Small World’ story: When I was in someone’s house I saw people were talking on the news and in the background was the Dudley tower in downtown Wausau.  It was pretty neat seeing home so far away from home lol.

After moving, we drove to Rodeo and visited with our investigator of 40 years. Sis B_______. She is a tough cookie to teach, that's for sure. Sadly, she is stuck in her ways, but she is having us over for dinner sometime next week.  After that lesson, we had dinner with the K_____s. It was good. They tell great stories - and I heard from a little birdie that BYU knocked off Gonzaga!!!!!

Sunday was a great day.  We went to church in Lordsburg and hustled out to go to church in Animas, so I got 4 hours of church! One of the High Councilmen was talking about Nintendo Game Boys and Sony Play Stations and he accidentally ran them together and said Playboy's.  That got everybody laughing in sacrament meeting, it was pretty funny, if you ask me. After that we had dinner at the K___’s and F____’s. We ended up talking and then they said we had to stay and play Farkle so we did and enjoyed it.  Now we are driving to Duncan, AZ to stay the night because we are going to the Gila Valley to play P-Day sports and shop at Walmart for food, a watch, and cheap sunglasses.
 .

I love you guys soooooooooooo much. I miss you, but I love what I’m doing. I love you guys to Wisconsin and back.


P.S . The more I type these emails the more and more I want a blue tooth key board, lol Oh, I need more T-shirts for P-Day and service. 

Elder Dickinson

Beautiful dust storm at dusk
 Good Night from New Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 99: Mission Accomplished!

First and foremost, I just want to let y'all know my flight into Central Wisconsin airport (CWA), is scheduled to land at about 3:50 o...